The Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), has estimated that roughly half of Nigeria’s schools lack basic furnishings. ayokinews.com reports
Disclosing this, Hamid Bobboyi, the commission’s Executive Secretary, said in Abuja, that basic education “pupils sit on the floor to receive lessons.”
Emerging limits in basic education delivery in the country, he claims, may need an increase in the government’s consolidated revenue funds from 2% to 4%.
He bolstered his case for more spending to address the country’s security concerns, claiming that the country’s increasing student population, necessitates the immediate provision of educational facilities.
Bobboyi made the remarks at a one-day Civil Society Organizations CSO-Legislative Round Table Meeting, which was attended by members of the National and State Houses of Assembly. He stated that although the children of the wealthy, who make up just 20% of the population, can afford to send their children to private schools, the poor, who make up the other 80%, are conditioned to attend public schools.
The UBEC chief further challenged relevant civil society organizations, the media, and other key stakeholders to assist the government in bridging recognized gaps in learning and teaching processes, particularly at the primary school level.
Check Also: Nigeria battling shortage of teachers – UBEC