The United States Pentagon has confirmed a twin bomb explosion attack outside the Kabul Hamid Karzai International Airport in Afghanistan. ayokinews.com reports
Pentagon confirmed that two (2) separate bomb explosions occurred at the Kabul airport, but didn’t give a specific number of casualties involved in the attack but acknowledged that there were casualties.
The first explosion was confirmed to have taken place at the Abbey Gate while the second explosion occurred at the nearby Baron Hotel.
Reporting on the attack, the Pentagon spokesperson, John Kirby said, “We can confirm that the explosion at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that resulted in a number of U.S. and civilian casualties. We can also confirm at least one other explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from Abbey Gate. We will continue to update.”
Also in a tweet, John Kirby said, “We can confirm that the explosion near the Abbey Gate of the Kabul airport has resulted in an unknown number of casualties.”
Reports gotten from various media organizations suggests the attack to be a suicide bombing.
This is coming after the Western Nations had earlier on Thursday, warned of a possible terror attack on the Kabul airport, a warning which few people heeded to.